Mark V tank
WWI ended while the 1st Canadian Tank Battalion was still training in Mark V tanks in the U.K. Shortly after the war ended, the tanks were returned to the British. Mark V*
Carden Loyd tankette
12 used by Canadian Armoured Fighting Vehicle School in a training role from 1931.
Vickers Light Tank Mk VI
12 delivered in 1938, Pre WWII machine gun equipped light tank (some retained for driver training in Canada early in WWII) Vickers Light Tank Mk VI (1/76)
Acquired by Canada on an emergency basis early in WWII (used as a tank trainer in Canada) Renault FT.17 (1/76)
Matilda Infantry Tank Mark II
Acquired in small numbers from British stocks to train crews in the U.K. prior to the arrival of the Ram Tank from Canada (Did not see action with the RCAC) Matilda II
Acquired in small numbers from British stocks to train crews in the U.K. prior to the arrival of the Ram Tank from Canada (Did not see action with the RCAC) M3 Lee / Grant (1/76)
M10 Tank Destroyer also mounting the British 17
ounder anti-tank gun (or M7 3-inch (76.2 mm) Gun as it was called by the Americans) in a rotating turret on a modified M4A2 Sherman tank chassis. The M10 was issued to Canadian Anti-Tank units in NW Europe. M10 Tank Hunter
Staghound Armoured Car
Although the Canadian Army used various machine gun and cannon armed light armoured cars in WWII as scout cars, the Staghound Armoured car with a turret mounted 37 mm main gun was the only heavy armoured car employed by Armoured Car and Reconnaissance regiments in the NW Europe campaign. The Staghound's were deployed for flank security, protecting lines of communication and in the screening force where they fought in the recce role. Some Staghounds remained in Army Reserve service and were used for training during the post war years. Staghound Mk I Tulip (T17E1)
Canada Initially ordered 274 Mk 3 Tanks, plus 9 Armoured Recovery Vehicles and 4 Bridge-layers and additional orders followed. Acquired for NATO use, most served with 4 CMBG in Germany and some served in Canada with units of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps from 1952 to 1977. The Mk 5 (upgunned to 105 mm) were used later. Towards the end of their service the Mk 5 and Mk 11's were used as combat tanks and the earlier Mk 3 was retained as a training tank. From 1969 to 1970 the Canadian Army lists 77 tanks based in Germany (mostly Mk 5 and Mk 11's) and the remainder in Canada (60 at CFB Wainwright AB, 59 at CFSD Longpointe PQ, 46 at CFB Gagetown NB, 30 at CFB Borden, 29 at CFB Meaford ON, 27 at CFB Calgary AB, 12 at CFB Petawawa ON, 6 at RCEME School Kingston ON and 1 at the LETE Test Establishment Orleans, CFB Ottawa ON) for a total of 347 Tanks (including 120 Mk 5's, 3 Mk 5 Recovery tanks and some Mk 11's with IR and ranging guns fitted). Replaced by Leopard C1 MBT and to a limited extent, AVGP Cougars were intended (as a cost saving measure) to replace the earlier Marks of Centurions that had been used for the training role in Canada. Many of the tanks were sold to Israel which converted them to diesel. Some are still in use as variants. Centurion Mk.3
Ferret Armoured Car
124 Ferret Armoured cars were operated by Canadian Armoured Recce units from 1954 to 1981. Canada purchased Mk1's but some Mk2's were also acquired from BAOR stocks in Germany. They were replaced by the Lynx with some retained for reserve training.
Lynx reconnaissance vehicle
The Canadian Forces accepted 174 vehicles from 1968, replacing their Ferret armoured cars. Lynx was issued to the reconnaissance squadron of an armoured regiment (D Sqn). Consisting of three troops, each equipped with seven Lynxes—three two-vehicle patrols plus the troop leader's vehicle. In addition, nine Lynxes equipped the reconnaissance platoon of an infantry battalion's combat support company. The commander operates a M2HB from the M26 manually traversed heavy machine gun cupola from inside the vehicle. The rear-facing observer operates the radio and fires the pintle-mounted 7.62mm machine gun. In 1993 they were withdrawn from service and replaced by the Coyote.
manufactured at GM Diesel Division in London, ON (now part of General Dynamics Land Systems) the AVGP was the first Canadian built AFV in service since the Second World War. The amphibious Cougar was a direct Fire Support Vehicle (Wheeled) FSV(W) variant of the Armoured Vehicle General Purpose. It was based on the Swiss MOWAG 6X6 Piranha hull with a 76 mm main gun mounted in a British FV101 Scorpion Tank turret. Cougars entered service in the late 1970s in Canadian based regular and reserve Armoured Recce Regiments.
Coyote Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle
A Canadian produced eight-wheeled armoured reconnaissance vehicle based on the LAV-25, 203 in service by 1996.
Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle. - Received 2016